Tuesday, October 19, 2010

SOP

Dear Sir ,
I am B.Tech from National Institute Of Technology ,Calicut in mechanical engineering and have work experience of 40 months in TCS, Asia's largest software consultancy. Did that impress you? Or you just wondering 'How come??!!'. Even I used to wonder in my engineering days, when my seniors from non IT stream made it to IT biggies. But I was not that motivated or driven. I just tumbled into TCS. So after 40 months into IT industry sometimes I wonder - what if I started my career at core sector, as I used to dream in my engineering days - in an enterprise with a chimney with smoke coming out of it, with sounds of machines , trucks, a chowkidar somewhere, workers smoking bidis in a corner. Quite an factory atmosphere , might not that cozy like an air conditioned IT office. But I guess that is where mechanical engineers belong to. That is where their purpose lies. AC atmosphere just make them lazy. Ironically nobody actually asked me to write an SOP before my engineering. So I never felt the need to think about the 'next big thing' after NIT. So I joined TCS. Wasted time in some meaningless works , And it took 3 years to realise that the 'time for change' has come. I must have dozed off in my cozy cubicle, in spite of the constant din made by managers sitting around me. Now I wonder what if I was asked to write an SOP before my engineering. I would have fixed my purpose long back. I might not take pain or gather words to write this impressive sop today.

Dear Sir, in next two years I will always be a good boy , work hard as I have saved enough energy in last 3 years. And you wont need to take pain for my placements. I will opt for OOPS(Opted Out Of Placements). TCS made me sure that I am too lazy to work under a boss. Better I would start as a shopkeeper. Selling has seemed to me such an easy way of making a living that sometimes I wonder why people bothered to do anything else. On market days , for instance , if I seat down before a bag of flour , with a scoop and a set of scales on one side , people will come, buy my flour and put money in my pocket. In fact it looks such an simple process that sometimes I wonder it wouldn't work if I try it!!!! :p:p. 'Jumping off the cliff' might not be that rosy sir. I just need to learn the confidence tricks in your institute over the next two years.

6 comments:

  1. O.K. I can consider it but what you would do spending another 2 years here? I understand that you will not go back to IT biggies. Will you be able to go to core industries and contribute some significant there? If yes, then I would like to know your thoughts in particular. If no, then there would not be any good use of our valuable offerings.

    Therefore I do not think you have written right SOP. I can not let people in who want to look for a purpose in my institution. I only want them who could come here with a purpose and use our offerings as a tool to achieve that.

    Try writing another SOP and impress me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to change dude.. indeed... :) no masala.. but quite innovative.. :) like it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sabuj:tell me ur institute name..i wil send my sop thr:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indian School of Real Business :)

    ReplyDelete